Thursday, November 20, 2008

Talk about your humbug

To: Barnes & Noble
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Best Buy
Borders
Circuit City
Dick's Sporting Goods
GAP
KB Toys
Kmart
Toys "R" Us
American Eagle
Banana Republic
Bloomingdale's
Lane Bryant
Old Navy

From: The Stay-at-Home Geek


Dear Retailer,

I recently read that your store has been placed on Focus on the Family's “Christmas-negligent” or “Christmas-offensive” retailers list because of your use (or non-use) of the word “Christmas” in your advertising. I just wanted to let you know that your decision on whether or not to use “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Holidays,” or for that matter, “Good Solstice,” will not in any way affect whether or not I shop at your store this holiday season. I, personally, celebrate Christmas, but unlike Focus on the Family, I realize that there are people in the United States who do not, for whatever personal reason they might have, and I do not expect the stores I shop at to cater to one small political group's desire to make those people feel marginalized and perhaps excluded. As a matter of fact, I feel that my Christmas shopping experience will be much improved by not having to shop with people who would purposely deny others their right to not have a holiday they don't celebrate shoved down their throat as they go about their everyday business in December.

So please continue to use whatever cheerful phrase you want to in your advertising, and good sales to you. Oh, and: happy holidays.

Sincerely,

The Stay-at-Home Geek

No comments: